Avoid rust / Yearly Rocker Panel Cleanup

Hello again and welcome Aveo DiY'ers.

Todays DiY tip could save your car from rusting out in the lower rocker panel area here:

I photoshopped this pic to show (yellow arrow) where the car will be rusting out if this area is not cleaned. I went a little crazy and showed the car as it might look in 10 years if uncared for.

You dont let this happen to yours..(for vehicles driven in the Rust Belt)



What happens is , leaves, dirt and debris, collects in a pocket behind the fender.
This pile of debris, holds moisture against the metal day after day.
Eventually, as the initial zinc primer gives way, the actual fender will begin to rust, and eventually crumble away.

I had to position the wheels at full turn to clear the bolts that hold the lower inner fender cover on (plastic). a 7mm socket should do. I only had to remove the lower 3 bolts.
There's a lip thats tucked into the fender and takes a bit effort to work free, but it will pull away, and reinstall just fine. Here's a look at what I found !!!! :

As you can see, after only 2 years use, there was a substantial buildup in each fender.

A high pressure spray hose would be one way to clean this area, but that can lead to water in the interior, and will otherwise be quite messy.

I didnt have any water available so I cleaned them out with my hands and some tools, even an old toothbrush to really get the crevises clean.

Don't use anything that will scrape the paint!!!! like a screw driver or you'll be in for big rust.

There's a hard to reach area, and 2 drain slots you'll want to get clean. I had alot of luck with a large Zip-Tie. If you have to use a screwdriver (as I did) BE SURE to wrap it in a rag...you want to avoid and scratches to the paint at all cost.

After everything was as clean as I could get it, I smeared some old wax I had all over inside of there to help possible reduce future buildup and add one more layer of protection to the metal surfaces that the dirt comes in contact with. This wax step is optional.




2 comments:

  1. I have a question for those who exchanged the timing belt Citroen Berlingo. Is it complicated, whether it is better to give the car to a mechanic? How much can cost such an exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently cleaned my Aveo for the first time and was shocked to find a huge amount of mud in there. A quick search told me that this is a specific Aveo problem, and directed me to this blog! Excellent source of information, so thanks. ;)

    Would you recommend treating that inner area with a corrosion-prevention coating like Tectyl or something similar? It seems like this is one of the key areas to treat with a rust prevetion spray. Is this a good idea or am I setting myself up for trouble?

    ReplyDelete

Holden Barina | Chevrolet Kalos | Chevy Aveo | Pontiac Wave/g3| Suzuki Swift+
Daewoo Kalos | Chevrolet Luva