Timing Belt- wrap up...





























Sorry for the delay. ...


Here's the rest of the pictures I snapped.


Not much more detail than I left you with.


This blog tool, makes a write up like this very time consuming and difficult. I found that changing the belt was easier than trying to get the pic's lined up right for this blog.


Anywas...lets get down to brass tax. One picture shows how used the driver tool, along with a hex key to break the 3 water pump bolts free. It was easy.


Since I wasnt replacing the water pump, just the gasket. I was able to cheat a little bit here...
The water pump wont come all the way out.
There is another bolt-on plastic cover that is in the way. To completely remove it requires the cam sprockets to be removed....way to much work for me.


So I cheated by simply removing the lower bolt(s) as shown in one of the pics.
This let me pry the cover back just enough to get the water pump away from the engine, and let me pry the old O-ring gasket off and put the new one on. This was a bit of a pain.
Get ready to catch a bit of coolant. and scratch your arm up finagling with the plastic cover that you'll have to be bending out of your way. Mine didn't break.
With that done, I re-intalled the water-pump with bolts on loose.
I used normal sized vice grips and they were able to grip the waterpump as shown in the pictures and rotate it as needed.
At this time I replaced the tensioner and Idler pulleys. It was only a matter of unbolting the old ones and re-installing the new pieces.
Now time to slip the new belt back on. (With the white markings transferred to the new belt).
I made sure to triple check that they were correct.
Slippling the new belt on was no easy feat. Because the sprockets move after the old belt comes off.
The timing belt. When Mined lined up initially there was a big 'U' dip inbetween both cam sprockets, and not enough belt slack left over to slip over the bottom cog correctly.
I had to use: 1. the help of a friend. 2. Start with the belt only halfway over the cam sprockets. holding the belt to the sprocket with my palm, turning one sprocket to remove as much of the 'U' dip as I could.
Turning the crank back a bit so that the belt tooth lined up with the correct marked groove in crank pulley.
Eventually I had everything on and correctly lined up.
Now it was time for belt tension.
I found this to be quite confusing. You could twist the water pump and spike the tensioner up into the correct zone...( you'll see a pointer on the spring loaded tensioner that moves and is supposed to line up with a mark also on the tensioner)
But as the belt would move , the tension would release.
This was even more evident as we removed the sparkplugs, relieving compression on the engine.
A tool end was inserted into one of the cam sprockets by me, to stop them from moving as I rotated the water pump for the adjustment. The tension was set as close to the mark as I could get it. And I left it like that.
I used a regular sized pair of vice grips from Lowes and they fit just fine. With tension set and the water pump bolts snugged back up it was all just a matter of reversing removal procedures.
The crank pulley bolt gave me some hassles, trying to turn the engine as I was trying to get it torqued down.
With the car in gear and the brakes appled (see pic in first Post using a bar to apply the brake pedal) I was able to get some torque on the bolt. I'm not sure if it was exactly as the manual prescribes (30 degree turn ect) but it hasn't come loose in 10k miles of driving.
Everything else went back on as it was removed.
My new accessory belt was a bit confusing to get back on. I had to review a pic of the aveo engine, outside a chassis, to get it right.
It might help to draw an outline of the thing before removing it, in those first steps.
I buttoned everything back up...Replaced my plugs and wires, and did an oil change.
She started back up as if nothing happened, and ran crisp and clean like the day I bought it.
I Hope yours goes as well as mine did! I hope this post was easy to read and understand as well as informative!
Best of luck with your Aveo!













8 comments:

  1. I have a question for those who exchanged the timing belt Chrysler Cirrus. Is it complicated, whether it is better to give the car to a mechanic? How much can cost such an exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BMW Remaps also offer a mobile service as well as a workshop service. So if you reside in and around Manchester, near area's such as Liverpool, Bury, Rochdale, Blackburn, Preston, Cheshire or within a 35 mile radius then we can come to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pankaj International is committed developing, manufacturing, delivering and servicing quality products. Our goal is to continuously improve our products and services in order to satisfy the needs of our customers before, during and after sales. In each of our products category our quality is amongst the best. We use the best quality of raw materials that are and subjected to stringent standards as per required specification.

    2-H nuts












    ReplyDelete
  4. Attractive information. we can use knee k brace for any knee fracture .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Thank you for sharing your insights on this topic, found it very helpful Checkout
    V belt Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to become Lottery Winner so I was searching on Google about idea lottery winner 2018. Please tell me are you offering?
    Idea lucky draw

    ReplyDelete
  7. hah mostly spam comments. Thanks for the blog this makes me less scared having an idea of what its going to take to try and knock out without any stranded style hitches. Thankfully I get about 3.5 days off a week so this should be doable easily I've done one front main seal and a head gasket on a 7mge before. Going to tackle my pump, cam seals, crank seal, oil pump seal, belts, tensioner ect. all at once hopefully keep this thing going for another 100k+.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "When I was applying for a loan to purchase my building as a small business owner in a tough situation, conventional banks said they could not help me. Mr Benjamin, a loan officer sat down with me, heard my situation and decided that I was worth taking a chance on. Here we are 5 years later and I have just renewed my loan for another 7 years. I couldn’t have purchased my building without the help of Mr Benjamin and will be forever indebted to them for giving me a chance when no one else would." 
    I will recommend you to contact a loan officer Mr Ben on the information below if you need any financial assistance.Mr Ben Whats-App Contact: + 1-989-394-3740As well as Email:  247officedept@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Holden Barina | Chevrolet Kalos | Chevy Aveo | Pontiac Wave/g3| Suzuki Swift+
Daewoo Kalos | Chevrolet Luva